- Staff Software Engineer (full-stack, specializing in web)
- Based in Walnut Creek, near San Francisco
Employment History #
Frec Inc #
February 2022 - current
- Frec is a small fintech startup building a brokerage offering, building on APIs from Plaid, Apex Clearing, XIgnite and others. Our code is mostly TypeScript, front and back, with React and Apollo GraphQL. We have an excellent team with a variety of skillsets that are a joy to work with.
Twitter Inc #
November 2010 - January 2022
Staff Software Engineer
Oct 2019 - Jan 2022
Senior Software Engineer
Jan 2017 - Sept 2019
- Drove cross-functional full-stack features like multi-account for web, cookies for GDPR, settings refresh, and night mode.
- Initiated and drove several initiatives like text size controls for web, graphql migrations, and performance refactoring.
- Led the Tweets team for web, including several experimental projects: conversation trees, emoji reactions, muted dms.
- Known for driving improvements, cleanup, and experiments outside normal project work.
- Mentored coworkers, interns and several new hires.
July 2013 - August 2016
- Started out with 7 reports, leading web client core team. Shipped redesigns, notifications and password reset.
- Built and staffed a web tools team and a framework team, rewriting and rethinking our tooling and deploys.
- Drove through the rewrite of web from our slow, fragmented, Scala views to React, initially on mobile and through to desktop.
- Led the whole web team through difficult times for the company, with layoffs, hiring freezes, and low stock prices.
- Peaked at 28 direct reports and four teams, with three manager reports.
Nov 2010 - July 2013
- Started at Twitter on the platform team, launching Follow button and web intents, based on Ruby-on-Rails.
- Joined the Web Core team to help with the creation of Swift/FlightJS, rewriting the site for maximum performance, and then with the migration from Ruby to Scala.
- Gave the new-hire frontend talk for two years.
- Took pride in pushing migrations through to completion, cleaning up the codebase.
Various (London) #
2000 - 2010
Frontend / Fullstack software engineer for various firms and agencies like DirectGov, Pirata, Digitas, ModemMedia, eMCSaatchi for brands like McLaren, Nakheel, Vauxhall, Opel, Bayer, P&G, PwC, Nissan, MG Rover.
- The most fun was always trying to deliver projects to a tight budget on the client's existing stack. We were often ramping up on the new CMS, trying to refactor and rework sites, and impose structure on existing data.
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science, Warwick University, UK 1999
- BSc (Hons) Physics, Open University, UK 2007