Satchmo finally running

Woah, that wasn’t easy.

I managed to get it running using Django SVN trunk revision 8222 (pre-signals/dispatcher rewrite), and latest SVN Satchmo 1404.

It’s not easy on a PC to get the required files, got to be said.  Most of the easy_installs don’t work. 

I wasn’t sure where trml2pdf should be placed (install instructions: “put it where you want!” – thanks :-p).  I put the folder in python/site-packages, and tested with “import trml2pdf” at the python line.

Finally, all was running well and I started the shop, when I hit:
‘WSGIRequest’ object has no attribute ‘session’

This is because I used the recommended setting.py almost directly.  However, their setting-customize.py doesn’t include the “standard” stuff.  I’ve no idea why – it should have everything needed to run.  Anyway, it missed the middleware settings for the sessions.  My middleware settings now read:

MIDDLEWARE_CLASSES = (“django.middleware.locale.LocaleMiddleware”,
                      “django.middleware.common.CommonMiddleware”,
                      “django.contrib.sessions.middleware.SessionMiddleware”,
                      “django.middleware.doc.XViewMiddleware”,
                      “django.contrib.auth.middleware.AuthenticationMiddleware”,
                      “satchmo.shop.SSLMiddleware.SSLRedirect”,
                      “satchmo.recentlist.middleware.RecentProductMiddleware”)

I still have some outstanding errors for the languages.  I had to set my LANGUAGE_CODE to “us” – pretty odd, because that’s a country code.  Doh.  Plus, I want proper English (GB), and I’ll have to make sure I can do that.

I don’t know if that’s connected to the errors I got when doing:
python manage.py satchmo_load_l10n

But I ignored that and it still seems to be running 🙂

Final note:  For a Django App, that demo store is bloody ugly ;-P

Update: Site looks better now – had to set the MEDIA_URL to ‘/static/’