There is a lot to dislike about printers.
- The cost of cartridges
- The printing software http://camendesign.com/?200806291149
- The way they stop picking up paper properly after 6 months, forcing you to buy another printer
- The way they notify the whole house when they run out of paper.
Let’s face it: I have no love for printer makers.
But the drivers? WTF?
You know how you cancel a print job, then it hangs around, freezing all printing, forever?
To fix you must:
- Open Services (Control Panel, Admin tools, Services)
- Stop the print spool service
- Delete the print queue (c:\windows\system32\spool\printer)
- Restart the print queue
- Restart the application which originally printed.
All this is a bit awkward. Nothing seems to have really improved since Windows first allowed you to “do other things” while printing. Woo.